Thursday, March 22, 2018

Hailing Sun

Hailing Sun

Children at ISB: Grade 1

hlsun4@yahoo.com

1.

Please provide a brief statement of interest as to why you want to run for the Board.

 

I am a parent of one daughter, Melinda, who is currently in Grade One. Three years ago when it came the time to choose the right school for her education, we put special emphasis on the school community and an enriched learning environment that would have an intimate and long-term impact in shaping our child’s upbringing. We chose ISB after months of careful evaluation.

Now having been part of the ISB community for almost three years, while recognizing areas for continuous enhancement, we continue to bond and deepen this relationship as time goes on. Being an active participant in Parent & Teacher Association (PTA) not only allows me to be a well-informed parent, but also directly and positively contributes to the community; managing PTA Store along with a team of volunteers serves as a day-to-day connection point with potentially every member in the ISB community. Becoming a member on the ISB Board of Trustees is the next step of this bonding which allows me, as a proud ISB parent, to be involved and contribute at a different level. Being passionate, accountable, open and honest are values I would carry forward.

 

2.

In what ways have you supported ISB and/or other schools your children have attended?

 

We came to ISB in the fall of 2015. Since then, I have been actively involved in a range of class-based and school-wide activities under different capacities.

  1. I am the homeroom parent for the past three consecutive years, facilitating communications between school and parents-in-class, and organizing various activities that help promote learning and social interactions within the community.
  2. I volunteered at school-wide events such as International Day, Spring Fair, Teacher Appreciation Lunch, etc. I was the co-chair for 2017 Spring Fare Game Team, managing all aspects of the game activities at the largest local community event. Now serving on the PTA Executive Committee provides a school-wide platform to get involved in PTA events, community services, policy setting, etc.
  3. PTA Store is a place where every member of the ISB community potentially meets. In June 2017, I took on the responsibility of managing the PTA store. Together with a group of volunteers, we manage the sourcing, pricing, stocking and staffing on a daily basis.

I strongly believe that, as a parent and an individual, offering my services and contributing proactively to a positive and loving community is part of my duty.

 

3.

How will your skills and prior experience (volunteer or paid) benefit the Board of Trustees and ISB?

 

I grew up in Beijing and subsequently went to the United States for undergraduate and post-graduate study. Professionally I have been working in global companies such as ThermoFisher and Agilent Technologies, both in the USA and Asia Pacific region for a number of years, heading up its strategic marketing, planning and field marketing operation. I am also familiar with start-up environment where I oversee the entire marketing operation, building infrastructure from stretch. Possessing long-term vision, thinking strategically, systematically planning and on-target execution are practices and skills I gained over years.

As an individual who was brought up under the traditional China education system, I experienced the rigorous academic training from elementary school up, like many of you. Meanwhile, I valued greatly the flexibility, intellectually stimulating, individual-tailored approach through a liberal arts education at Amherst College, followed by a Ph.D. study at Stanford University School of Medicine. A nice blend of the east and west education is what I hope many of our children can enjoy and benefit from. ISB, with its long history and reputation, is a school where our children’s education dream can be built upon. As a devoted parent, I am passionate about continuing building excellence.

 



from Finalsite Academy News http://ift.tt/2FWQbk4

No comments:

Post a Comment