Thursday, March 22, 2018

Paula Sun

Paula Sun

Children at ISB: Grade 7

paulajsun@yahoo.com

1.

Please provide a brief statement of interest as to why you want to run for the Board.

 

In middle school, I used to hate my history class, where my teacher would give us a list of historical events and asked us to remember the dates, locations the events took place, further, the meanings and significance of the events. History could not be more boring. Then there came a new history teacher, who was very knowledgeable. He started telling stories of world history. The stories were so interesting that I fell madly in love with history and as a result my brain automatically remembered the events I supposed to memorize. This was the first time I realized how a good teacher can motivate students, it was just like magic. I am a full time mom of two boys, one 8th grade and one 10th grade. Ever since they went to school, I have participated in every bit of their school life. I volunteered in every school event where I felt could contribute, hoping that would make a difference. I wanted my boys and their fellow students to be happy, healthy, fulfilling their potential and to grow into responsible, confident young men and women. I also want them to experience the magic that I had experienced –to be inspired and thus to be able to learn out of great interest and self motivation, further, developing their passions for lifelong learning. ISB was a dream school for us when my boys enrolled at their 4th and 5th grade respectively. I appreciate and cherish its vision and mission in creating an academically rigorous, balanced and engaging learning environment for each child. The world is fast changing driven by new technologies. The schools are evolving and changing as well. It is very different from when we joined 4 and half years ago. There are a lot of new challenges, also new choices as where the school is going. I am interested to get involved and work with school officials to embrace the challenges and opportunities for the benefit of our students as well as for the future of the school.

 

2.

In what ways have you supported ISB and/or other schools your children have attended?

 

This year is my 5th year in ISB. I have been 9thth grade HS reps respectively for two years. As HS rep, I served mainly as a communication bridge between school and HS moms in my grade by listening to the voices of parents, congregating their inputs, making corresponding suggestions or bringing the issues to the attentions of HS principal. I also coordinate PTA events, student organized events, and school events related to HS. I helped in organizing educational and experience sharing workshop to parents. I also volunteered in spring fair, international days and many other PTA organized events. I took the lead in Chinese showcase in last fall’s international day, which turned out to be the most visited showcase in the event. For more than 4 years I have volunteered in ES and MS respectively as homeroom parent, organizing homeroom party and other logistics to support school work. I also served as one of the team photographers for our swimming academy for more than two years.

 

3.

How will your skills and prior experience (volunteer or paid) benefit the Board of Trustees and ISB?

 

I had been a design engineer and senior technical manager for more than 10 years in Hughes – a network and telecommunication company, designed and led multimillion-gate chip design project for consumer products. As a chip designer, a small bug in design could cause million dollar damage as we would have to re-spin the design in foundry. Thus there has been strict design methodology in place to minimize mistakes. I was trained to design methodologies and follow the methodologies without cutting corners. I believe there is also a methodology on maintaining a good school in educational area. While I am a hands-on and technology savvy person, I am also proactive in my job, and a people’s person – so said by my supervisor in my previous job. I listen and talk to all kinds of people. I understand the importance of communication and coordination between PTA and school management team. As the technology is advancing, the world is changing very fast. I believe my engineering and management background would be helpful in the Board. I also have a lot of time and commitments to get involved and contribute to school as a full time mom now.

 



from Finalsite Academy News http://ift.tt/2Gb7iOv

No comments:

Post a Comment