Thursday, March 22, 2018

Jennifer Huang

Jennifer Huang

Children at ISB: Grade 7

cyhuang@ckgsb.edu.cn

1.

Please provide a brief statement of interest as to why you want to run for the Board.

 

I have been a proud ISB parent for almost eight years. We moved from Austin TX to Beijing in 2010. My son Brandon was a 4th grader then. My daughter Madison is a first grader now. Both of my kids absolutely love ISB. I appreciate the inspirational learning environment and the core values that ISB upholds, including integrity, respect, and service. It is time for me to give back to this wonderful community.

Today, ISB is at a cross road. Academics or whole child education, project-based learning or solid foundational skills, which one is more important? Can we balance these goals? I bring a perspective from higher education. As a university professor for the last 20 years, my understanding of the demand from colleges and future employees can help ISB make strategic decisions to become the best international school in Beijing. My curriculum design and implementation experience can also be valuable to ISB board. I hope I can contribute.

 

2.

In what ways have you supported ISB and/or other schools your children have attended?

 

I have been a homeroom parent for a few of Brandon’s classes and for all of Madison’s classes since she started at ISB three years ago. I have regularly volunteered at school events like international day and spring fair. Through these rewarding experiences, I have built a strong connection with the ISB community.

I also volunteer at the Sunday school for Capital Community Church. I started with overseeing activities in the small classes. Since last Fall, I have occasionally taught lectures for the big class for 1st-5th graders.

 

3.

How will your skills and prior experience (volunteer or paid) benefit the Board of Trustees and ISB?

 

I have spent all my life in schools. Education is my work and my passion. Since 2010, I have been a Full professor at Cheung Kong Graduate School of business, a member of the Faculty Executive Committee that oversees faculty governance, and the Academic Director for various programs. Prior to this, I was a Finance professor for ten years at the University of Texas at Austin and was tenured in 2008. I taught in both the undergraduate and graduate programs at the business school. From my work, I bring visions from college education, experiences in curriculum design and implementation, and understanding of faculty governance.

On the culture front, I was born and raised in China, and spent almost twenty years in the U.S.. I completed my undergraduate study in China (USTC) and graduate study in the U.S. (MIT Sloan School of Business). So I have full appreciation of both cultures.

Experiences and knowledge about China is increasingly valued by the international community. ISB’s long history in China and its solid U.S. education foundation give it a unique edge. With combined efforts from the school and parents, we can make ISB the best international school in the world!

 



from Finalsite Academy News http://ift.tt/2FTfMul

No comments:

Post a Comment